Monday 5 January 2015

Book Review: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Today I bring you a review of a book I had to read for a university class.

I have watched the movie adaptation of one of Jane Austen's novels, Pride and Prejudice, so when I was told we were to read Sense and Sensibility I dove into it with that adaptation in mind, even though it is two different novels.
What I read didn't differ much from the movie I saw in terms of society and plot. With this novel, Jane Austen intended to characterize and stress the differences between sense and sensibility (the title couldn't be more obvious) and how that affects the relationships and feelings of the characters.

We have Elinor who represents 'sense' and Marianne, her sister, who represents 'sensibility'. Both will learn and help each other through heartbreaks and the pressure of society, thus leading to a better division of their feelings.
The plot is engaging and it has some funny parts, especially when Austen ridicules the excess of the feelings of either sense or sensibility. There is a lot of kinships and sometimes I found myself confused, focus and rereading helped.

Overall it is a fun read and I would like to watch the movie adaptation of this novel and read Pride and Prejudice :)

Favourite Quotes
"'Of his sense and his goodness (...) no one can, I think, be in doubt, who has seen him often enough to engage him in unreserved conversation. The excellence of his understanding, and his principles can be concealed only by that shyness which too often keeps him silent."

"I wish, as well as everybody else, to be perfectly happy; but, like everybody else, it must be in my own way."

"(...) it was impossible for her to say what she did not feel, however trivial te occasion (...)"

"She said little, but every sentence aimed at cheerfulness, and though a sigh sometimes escaped her, it never passed away without the atonement of a smile."

Happy Monday! x

No comments:

Post a Comment